I absolutely adore Crete. I was there two years ago, when I first fell in love. I wondered whether this trip would be any different...after all, we were returning with a baby, and for a longer period of time. I'm glad we spent a few weeks, because it allowed me to develop an even greater appreciation (ok, love) for the island, it's culture, and of course, the food and wine.
I discovered a great winery near Chania. Manousakis Winery is an absolute must-do, in my opinion. It was such an amazing experience that I bought a shirt at their shop. I don't even wear t-shirts, lol. I went with Brandon, Lily, and our cousin for some wine tasting and lunch, but it turned into an afternoon of Greek food and dance. We were lucky enough to meet the owner and his lovely family. Incidentally, a Cretan dance group was at the estate at the same time. We hit it off, and they were kind enough to invite us to join them in some traditional Cretan dances. It was once of the most memorable experiences I've had in Greece. Beyond that, the wine is phenomenal. The reds and whites are all very solid, but I fell in love with the rose. It was perfectly dry, and perfect for drinking on a hot summer day.
We also returned to nearby Karavitakis. They were harvesting, so we weren't able to do the tour as we did the first time, but we were able to taste some great complex reds.
Of course, we had to stop to get our favorite olive oil, at Terra Creta, in the same area. Brandon and I became addicted to their olive oil and balsamic vinegar combo during our last visit, so we had to pick up a couple.
Greek food is one of my favorites, so it was very difficult to have a bad meal. One standout was the octopus carpaccio at Salis in Chania. Also, Ferryman Restaurant in Elounda was so amazing that we went twice. The cheese pies and fried cod appetizer were absolutely worth repeating.
We spent a few days in Heraklion, and returned to Erganos. It's still one of my favorite restaurants in Greece...it did not disappoint. Just outside of Heraklion, we found another fantastic winery. Stilianou is a small family operation with limited production. Despite their small size, their wines are big and bold. Their white, reds, and rose were all outstanding.
It goes without saying that the beaches are the biggest draw on the Greek islands. Elafonissi on the Southwest side was stunningly beautiful, and I still love Falassarna beach for swimming and hanging out.
I'm already trying to make plans to be in Crete next summer. Two years is too long to stay away!


Thats makes Susan and I want to go to Crete
ReplyDelete