The Budapest Wine Festival was one of my favorite travel experiences, ever. I really didn't know what to expect when I stumbled upon it, but it was bigger and better than anything I could have imagined. Celebrating their 25th year, the Budapest Borfesztival really pulled out all the stops. Did I know anything about Hungarian wines before arriving? No. Am I a huge fan of Hungarian wines now? Yes.
The Budapest Borfesztival is the real deal. This year, roughly 200 producers shared their wines with the crowds. They represented every Hungarian wine region, and nearly every variety. There was a food truck area, and other food and dessert vendors scattered throughout the huge festival area.
There could not have been a more beautiful setting. The festival was placed around Buda Castle, one of the iconic landmarks in Budapest. I was lucky enough to get there just as the sun was setting, and I got to see how gorgeous the Castle and the surrounding area is when night falls.
One of the standouts was Janus Winery, which produces in the Villany wine region. I had the chance to taste a few of their wines and talk with one of their producers. Their reds were strong, and their rose was a standout.
I also had the chance to try some fantastic Hungarian sparklings. Kreinbacher was my favorite. I enjoyed Villa Sandi as well.
Of course, I had to try the food. I had a delicious berry strudel, potato dumplings with pork, and roasted pork with potatoes. Definitely heavy food to have while wine tasting, but I managed...
Some of my impressions were captured on video below:
https://youtu.be/bumj0-XtMOE
Some of my impressions were captured on video below:
https://youtu.be/bumj0-XtMOE
It wouldn't be a festival without entertainment, and the Borfesztival delivered. I caught a great Hungarian jazz band on my second (don't judge me) night at the festival.
Overall, I had an amazing time. I'll definitely be back.
Overall, I had an amazing time. I'll definitely be back.
Photo and video credit: Felipe Garcia
Dress: Szputnyik Shop




No comments:
Post a Comment