I love....I mean, LOVE Prague. I'd never visited until last month, and it was truly a match made in heaven. If anything serious goes down in the U.S., you just might find me there. I'd been told I would really like it, but I had no idea what I was really in for.
First of all, it is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. I'm not referring to just the (touristy) Old City...the whole city is scenic and just downright gorgeous. Next, the people are ridiculously friendly and kind--bonus, because I definitely don't speak Czech. Of course, the food is also amazing. With such a winning combination, I could move to Prague in a heartbeat.
One of my favorites was Maso a Kobliha (maso means butcher in Czech). The fried pork skin strips were truly life changing. Probably one of the best pork dishes I have ever had. Crispy and fried to perfection...
Maso's sister restaurant, Sansho, is more Asian fusion than Czech inspired. It was equally phenomenal, if not better. The six knockout courses included salmon sashimi, fried calamari, dumplings, pork belly, and a soft shell crab bun, among other deliciousness.
Another standout was the sizzling beef at a local spot called Kulatak. It was served on a hot platter, thinly sliced, with capers and parmesan slivers on the side--yum! Another great lunch place in our neighborhood was Avion 58. The duck there was literally the best I've ever had.
Prague is famous for their open-faced sandwiches. Highly acclaimed Sisters Bistro did not disappoint. It was so good, I went twice during our two week stay. I really loved the roast beef and egg and cress sandwiches, but they were all extremely good.
Prague also has some great markets. Naplavka takes place every Saturday on the water. They have a little bit of everything...fresh flowers, fruits and veggies, restaurant stands, and of course, beer and wine. On that particular Saturday, we were lucky enough to find a seafood festival across the river. The boiled shrimp was amazing.
Obviously, I also found a few wine festivals. In all honesty, I didn't enjoy the wines as much as I did Hungarian wines (love), but I enjoyed tasting the different wines and local foods. While we're on wine, I stumbled across an amazing little wine bar called Veltlin, in the Karlin neighborhood. If you are ever in Prague, you have to go! They have a great selection of Czech wines (even some sparkling) with small meat and cheese plates.
Strangely enough, I also kind of got into beer. I normally dislike beer. I have never really been able to drink it, not even in law school. Czech culture is really beer centered though (to the point that even playgrounds have beer gardens), and I eventually gave in. The local Pilsner Urquell is very smooth and drinkable, especially with food. I spent a day at the Pilsner Urquell factory, and found the whole process to be interesting. Pilsner is located in the historical town of Pilsen, where they have been brewing for centuries. There is even a network of underground tunnels that served as pubs in the 1400s. The factory tour is definitely worth doing...you get to hear a bit of the history, see the modern brewing techniques, and of course taste the beer.
Prague truly has a piece of my heart. I can't wait to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment