Monday, July 11, 2016

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what kind of culinary experiences to expect in Finland. Which made it even more exciting to discover the great food scene in Helsinki. From market stalls to the finest of fine dining, it was all delicious. I literally did not have a bad meal.

The summers in Finland are a little cool. Luckily, there is an abundance of great coffee and hot chocolate. I also fell in love the salmon soup. A local specialty, it contains healthy amounts of tender salmon, dill, carrots, onions, and yummy seasonings. I was surprised to find that there are creamy and brothy varieties. I loved both. I can't wait to try to make some!


I think my favorite meal was lunch at a local bistro. Pompeir was one of the best lunches I've ever had. For sixteen euro, I had a coconut curry soup with chicken, access to the salad table (with the most amazing watermelon salad and a fantastic salad with sweet potatoes), and the most delicious halibut with new potatoes and veggies. All with an option to add a glass of rose for five euro, which of course I took advantage of. It was so delicious that I completely forgot to take photos...so you'll just have to trust me. If you're ever in Helsinki, go!!!

On our last night, we tried Juuri, a modern Scandinavian restaurant featuring "sapas," a Finnish take on tapas. The smoked whitefish and pork neck were both standouts. 


I would definitely go back to Helsinki. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves to eat as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment