Tuesday, July 5, 2016

After many years of planning and canceling, I finally made it to the Aspen Food and Wine Festival. 

Aspen is absolutely stunning in the summer. I'd been in the winter, and it is beautiful during that season, but I can't express how lush and green Aspen is in June. You literally feel like you're in a postcard. A trip to Maroon Bells is a must...looking at the sparkling lake and mountains above gives you a real appreciation for Colorado's stunning natural beauty.

We stayed at the St. Regis Aspen, which was absolute perfection. The service was impeccable, and the location was incredibly convenient. Several of the seminars and events we attended were right at the hotel.



The highlight of my weekend was seeing Jacques Pepin in action. With the assistance of his daughter, Claudine, Jacques made six dishes in 45 minutes. He was charming and funny. His techniques were amazing to watch, particularly his knife skills. First up was cheese crusted with crushed pistachios and dried fruit--easy and beautiful. I'll definitely be using that one at my next dinner party. Next up was a hummus-inspired dip made in just minutes with beans, olive oil, and some basic seasonings. Then there were baked eggs and cheese in hollowed out green peppers. Jacques also made a grilled chicken with chimichurri sauce, a mushroom carpaccio, and a pound cake with marzipan and jam (drowned in Grand Marnier and garnished with grapefruit).



My second favorite experience was Swine and Dine, with Jean-Paul Bourgeois of Blue Smoke in New York. We sampled great barbecue including cracklin, deviled ham sandwiches, and torchon, with a diverse variety of red and white wines. Delicious. There were also some great wine seminars, including one on rose (perfect at 10:00 AM), and another pairing sparkling wines with popcorn.



The Grand Tastings were always fun, despite the warm weather. One standout that I had to return to at each tasting (five total throughout the weekend) was Cooper's Hawk. This winery and restaurant group from Illinois was completely unknown to me prior to the Festival. Luckily, that is no longer the case. Chef Matt McMillin created the most delectable ahi tuna sashimi with ponzu, avocado, radish, and a wasabi cream. I had to have it...I love ahi sashimi, and I'd put it in my all-time top three ahi dishes. In addition to the ridiculously good food, Cooper's Hawk has some standout wines. Rob Warren, the incredibly friendly and engaging winemaker, was under the tent daily, pouring some very solid reds including a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinot Noir.

I also loved the Best New Chefs feature, hosted by Food and Wine and featuring two of the anointed chefs at a time. The line was a bit long but worth it. Edouardo Jordan (of Salare in Seattle), Michael Gulotta (of MoPho in New Orleans--which I will be checking out in November), and Kris Yenbamroong (of Night + Market in Los Angeles--one of my favorites) were all phenomenal.

I'll be back, Aspen. See you in a few summers!


No comments:

Post a Comment