Friday, October 10, 2014

New Orleans has become something of a second home to me. My husband is from there, and I spend a fair amount of time in the city. During my most recent trip, I had the chance to try some new places. As usual, I was not disappointed. 

Avery's on Tulane just might be my new favorite NOLA lunch spot. For an appetizer, try the fried potato salad...with bacon. No really, it exists and it is incredible! What REALLY blew my mind was the "Pearl River" Po-boy. This massive sandwich consists of fried gulf oysters, roast beef gravy, and bacon (yes, there is a theme developing). It's a crazy combination, but everything comes together beautifully.

I also tried Muriel's Jackson Square for the first time. I'd written it off as a tourist trap until very recently, when I heard good things about it from some locals. It was an early dinner, and I was still really full when our party arrived. I had the turtle soup, which was solid, and a delicious salad with lump crabmeat and avocado. I also sampled the barbeque shrimp--yummy!

I don't know how I missed this gem, but I finally tried Sammy's Food Services and Deli. It is no-nonsense, reasonably priced, amazing food. I had the roast beef po-boy, which is a huge departure for a seafood girl like myself. It was ridiculously good. The roast beef was so juicy...I'm getting a bit misty-eyed just thinking about it.

Finally, I went to Pandora's Snowballs. Not my first time by any means--I've always loved the snowballs at Pandora's, with ice shaved so exquisitely that it's literally like butter. I went several times on this trip. Once with a visiting friend, once with my visiting Dad, and twice on my own. I am not a huge fan of sugar, so I normally go for the more tart-leaning fruit flavors. On my last trip, I decided to go crazy. I got a cotton candy snowball, and I cannot express to you how much it tasted like cotton candy. It was fantastic! I might have a new addiction...

Needless to say, I'm on a bit of a kale and arugula detox diet right now. Until next time, New Orleans.


No comments:

Post a Comment