Kyoto is now one of my favorite cities in the world. I loved every minute of my experience there. It is beautiful, well-designed, and full of culinary delights.
The department stores in Japan are like none other. They are gigantic, sometimes seven to ten floors, with everything you can imagine...from the highest end designer goods to local delicacies. I especially loved Takashimaya, where I enjoyed soba noodles on the top floor and candies and chocolates on the bottom floor. I can't overemphasize the variety--every type of candy you could possibly imagine, all in one very large, very upscale basement.
Snacking in Kyoto was a pleasure. I because addicted to wasabi peanuts. The produce was some of the freshest I've ever tasted. The strawberries were ridiculously sweet and juicy.
Tripadvisor and just about anyone you speak to will suggest going to a geiko/geisha show. The two words are used interchangeably in Kyoto, where the tradition is still strong in some areas. My husband and I went to a show, and I have mixed reviews. It is, of course, set up for tourists. The food is not great, and it isn't an authentic Japanese dining experience. On the other hand, the young women spend ten or fifteen minutes interacting with each table, and it was fascinating to ask questions about their training and practices and hear their answers (with some translation). We were still starving afterwards, and we were lucky enough to find some great shabu shabu around the corner.
Kyoto is also known for wagyu beef. Hafuu Honten was recommended, and it did not disappoint. It was some of the most tender, flavorful beef I've had in my entire life. Eating beef stateside has just not been the same. Tempura is another specialty, and the place to go is Yoshikawa Tempura. Dinner reservations are almost impossible to get, but lunch is first-come, first served. I like tempura generally, but I've never been crazy about it. If I had a Yoshikawa nearby, I would eat tempura at least every few days. The chef reigned over our table of ten, doling out flavorful, fresh, and ever-so-delicately fried deliciousness. The meal included local vegetables, pumpkin, fish, and shrimp. The miso soup served with the meal was also very good.
Then there's dessert. I am a fan of old-school soft ice cream (probably because of my Midwestern upbringing and my love of Dairy Queen, but I digress). Kyoto has some of the best. Instead of a standard vanilla, they have a milk flavor. It's creamy and refreshing, without any excessive sweetness. Amazingly, I also found a yummy cookies and cream. Soft ice cream cookies and cream! Who knew?!
I would go back to Kyoto in a heartbeat. Eating my way around the city would be a dream getaway. I should mention that the temples are awe-inspiring, and I side trip to Nara was fascinating. Mostly though,
I ate.
No comments:
Post a Comment