Friday, November 7, 2014

New Mexico has been fascinating to me since I was about eight, when I studied Georgia O'Keefe in an art class. The stunning landscapes, the communities of artists, the history...I finally made it, and it is a stunningly beautiful state. I definitely suggest visiting in the fall, because the colors are so vivid.

Back to the important things. New Mexico is known for a unique regional cuisine--and for margaritas. The Shed is a legendary Santa Fe restaurant. While I enjoyed the food, the standout was the agave wine margarita. Agave wine is basically virgin tequila, before it is distilled into hard liquor. The result is smooth and delicious. Fun fact: prior to getting their liquor license, the Shed made agave wine margaritas as a workaround. 

My favorite meal in Santa Fe was breakfast at another local institution, the Pantry. The breakfast burrito with carne adovada was one of the best things I've ever eaten. If I lived in Santa Fe, I would be tempted to eat there every morning.


There were also some great day trips from Santa Fe. The road to Taos is as beautiful as you've heard it is. My favorite was Santorio de Chimayo. Millions of people make the pilgrimage to this National Historic Landmark every year. While I had not heard of it prior to my arrival, it was one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen. The spirituality is almost tangible...I definitely had the feeling of being on sacred ground. Another must do is Tent Rocks National Monument. These are the cone-shaped rock formations you see in New Mexico tourism ads. I can't adequately describe how breathtakingly beautiful Tent Rocks is. If you get the chance to hike it, please do! 

Finally, what do you do if you arrive to the airport early and still have your rental car? Eat, of course. I had the best chicken in a strip mall a few blocks from the tiny airport. El Rey Del Pollo was some of the most delicious chicken I've ever had. As a Breaking Bad fan, I couldn't help but think of "Los Pollos Hermanos." My husband and I ordered the "medio pollo asado," which consisted of moist and perfectly seasoned chicken, hot tortillas, salsa, a baked potato, two quesadillas, and delicious black beans. All for $12.00, and they deliver! If I lived in Santa Fe, the El Rey De Pollo delivery person would be my new best friend. Oh well...perfect chicken is a good enough reason to go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment